Tuesday, November 27, 2007

SURF's UP

Not too many people know about this small town called Baler (in Aurora, formerly part of Quezon). Baler stands proud on the shore of a horseshoe-shaped coastal valley overlooking the Pacific Ocean in the east. This is where I was born. It's also the hometown of the late President Manuel Quezon and Senator Edgardo Angara. Oh di ba, ka-level! :) He's actually my parents' kababata & classmate.

If there is one thing that this town is known for, it's the long stretch of beaches surrounding the town. Since i am not a swimmer or a water person, i wasn't that much drawn to it until I had Raph and Ronald who both enjoy hanging out in the beach.

This is Baler Beach in Sabang, the one nearest the bayan or downtown as city folks would say. When I was a child, I remember I was fascinated seeing tourists and foreigners surf the big waves. I wish I got to learn to surf too, but i doubt if i could, i don't even know how to swim!...Today, Baler is one of the most popular surfing destinations. I heard Jericho Rosales and his surfer friends have discovered the place to be a surfing bliss. Paolo Bediones and Louie Villaruz have been there too to cover a surfing competition. Surfers from Siargao, La Union and even from abroad troop to Baler for the yearly Aurora Surfing Cup every February.


It may not be a white beach but it's such a pretty sight just the same. The water is dark green, the waves are never calm, ideal for that perfect surf especially during surf months. Though when we were there, the waves are generally more subtle.

Here are photos i took during the all souls' day holiday break...

raph with his cousins aj & kuya benjo enjoying the morning dip

a lady surfer on the go!

wow! galing ng surfer!

whoa! big waves

raph, a fan of the movie Surf's up, was awed watching the surfers.
he wants to learn to surf too... pag big boy ka na ha!

1 comment:

PIPER said...

wow! so, let's go?

my music::