Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sesame Street Live


july20/07

Sunny days, sweepin’ the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get (how to get) to Sesame Street
Come and play, everything's a-ok
Friendly neighbors there, that's where we meet
Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street


For some funny reasons I couldn’t remember some parts of the lyrics while we sang this song on our way back home after watching Sesame Street Live at the Aliw Theater.
Who could forget this sunshiny-tune and the adorable characters of Sesame Street? They certainly bring back wonderful childhood memories.

Elmo is Raphael’s favorite Sesame Street character. He so loved Elmo before he even turned one year old. Even though his interests have already evolved into Superman, hotwheels cars, Tomas & Friends,Power Rangers, Spiderman, TMNJ and now Transformers, I think Elmo pretty much still occupies a space in his heart. That’s why when I first learned that Sesame Street is coming to Manila, I knew I would never let him miss watching it.

His liking for Elmo began when his Ninong Jillmer brought him his first Elmo toy called Hockey Pockey Elmo as pasalubong from the States when Raph was just a few months old. That’s why on his 1st birthday party, Elmo was his special guest. Of course not the real one but just the local Elmo mascot. I made sure his entrance song would be the “Hockey Pockey” tune because his Elmo toy would dance to it everytime its right hand is pressed. That was the first time I ever saw a one year old enjoying his party from beginning to end. He was dancing with Elmo, mimicking his Hockey Pockey steps that he was so familiar with. Elmo definitely made his birthday a blast!

Raph’s Ninang Tintin Bersola, upon learning that he was so much into Elmo, gave him a collection of Sesame Street/Elmo’s World VCDs, along with Elmo shirts, as 1st birthday gifts. And soon more and more were added to his collection. Not only Raph enjoyed watching or playing with Elmo, he also learned so much from him.

Elmo is the most popular Sesame Street character. Maybe because he’s the only one who has done a full segment called “Elmo’s World.” But did you know that he’s not even part of the original cast. That’s why I remember a friend who was a Sesame Street kid saying that he didn’t know Elmo during his childhood days. Oh well that’s because Elmo came 10 years after the show piloted and he was just a minor character back then.

Raph surely had fun watching the Sesame Street show. Good thing we had a good view of the characters because our seats were quite near the stage. Thanks to his Dad who got us compli tickets whom we also shared with Raph’s friend and my inaanak Jayvee. Up to now, he still has a hangover; he would watch the video I took from my cellphone and not a day passes without him singing “Sunny days sweepin’ the clouds away... Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street..”

1 comment:

DYrek said...

it is really nice that i was part of that trip to the show... kahit hindi ako nakasamang manood... i knew that the kids will enjoy it very much...

i myself can't help but feel nostalgic about sesame street and i would proudly say that sesame street has become a huge part of me... dun ako natutong magsalita ng english eh! akala lang nila, matalino ako, mahilig lang pala manood ng tv!

my music::